Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I am a Runner by Nicola Taggart


Hi, my name is Nicola and I AM a runner.

Honestly, until recently I had never thought of myself as a runner. Yes, I had run (more like jogged or shuffled) off and on in the past, but I never considered myself an actual runner.

What defines an "actual runner" you may ask? That's a good question. In my mind, my belief was that an "actual runner" ran on a regular basis, liked running, could run without stopping for 30 minutes or more, had the running gear, had the running body (what's that, anyway?), they ran with other runners and talked "running" with other actual runners.
Since none of these things described me, a runner I was not.

Hi, my name is Nicola and I am a runner.

There. I said it. I. Am. A. Runner.

What changed, you may ask?

1. I connected to a greater vision/purpose then just exercising. You can blame this one on my step-mom. She is an avid "actual runner" herself. In fact, she's a multi-time relay and marathon runner. All those things I described above: those are her. In a wine-induced, post-partum haze moment, I agreed to run a half-marathon with her. It's local. It's a flat run. It supports a great organization (Girls Inc. of the Island City). And it's still six months away. Close enough to motivate me. Far enough to seem like I have a good, long time to get ready for it. Getting out to run on a regular basis for the benefit of exercise alone just hadn't worked for me in the past. I would get motivated for a few runs and then lose focus and easily give up. Having this greater vision and purpose to run a half-marathon and support an organization which I believe in (and was once on the board for) has not only helped me get out the door on days I don't want to, but it has be focused on a bigger, more inspiring goal then just exercising.

2. I created a plan that feels right for me and that that I can get excited about. Most importantly, if feels doable. It's broken down by weeks and days so that I can focus on the small steps to reach the bigger goal. The idea of running 13.1 miles seems crazy and scary to me. However, seeing the training schedule and learning some techniques from others who have come before me makes this all feel less crazy and scary. The key is to learn what you can from experts and others, but to then take that and create what works for you. You get to do this on your own terms, but know that just like all things, having the insight and guidance from others who been-there-done-that can help you in ways you may never have imagined, but it only helps you if it works for you.

3. I started "acting as if" I WAS a runner. When I've worked with clients who want to change a habit, like stop smoking, I ask them to think about what non-smokers do and don't do differently then smokers. They don't take smoke breaks, they don't buy cigarettes, they check off "non-smoker" on forms. I realized I needed to do the same thing with running. I already had my ideas of what "actual runners" DO (see my definition above), so it was easy for me to get in that mind-set. Once I got a few runs under by belt, I had a sense of what type of running clothes I'd like and went out and bought some; my step-mom gave me some of her running magazines, which I've actually enjoy reading; I found a running partner; I joined the #momsrunning Twitter running group; and most importantly, I started telling myself and others that I was a runner.

4. I enlisted accountability. I had an immediate accountability partner with my step-mom, but we don't live close enough to run together and I knew I would need to expand my accountability circle if I was really going to go through with this. I posted my goal and commitment on Facebook and have gotten much encouragement from others. I also started Tweeting about my runs, which led to the introduction to the #momsrunning group, which has been a source of great advice and support, and as I mentioned before, I found a running partner. A running partner is great to have to keep you on track and motivated, especially on those days when you are struggling to get out the door or run just a bit further.

5. I am going slow and easing into it. Okay, I'll admit that my over-achieving, highly-critical, perfectionist gremlin (am I the only one who has one of these?) decided to show up when I started this endeavor. I went out running three days in a row. With only one run under by belt over the past nine months. Expecting to be able to run 3 miles straight. Without stopping to walk. Or without feeling like I would die. Um, a bit of insanity on my part? No, it was just the gremlin talking. I kicked that little guy to the curb after that first week and have now realized that easing into running longer distances is the key to success. I've also learned-with the help of the Twitter #momsrunning group-to let go of my limiting belief that to be an "actual runner" you have to be able to run the entire time…without walking…for not just the first three miles, but the remaining 10.1. That felt very daunting. I am now doing a run/walk combo that I am really enjoying and that allows me to actually go longer because I feel better throughout the run. I am currently running 10 minutes and walking 1 minute, repeating this for at least three cycles.

6. I am listening to my body. And, honestly, now that I am running more regularly, my body feels it when I don't get out for a run. So, not only am I learning to listen to my body when I do run, which means slowing down or stopping if something is painful, but I am also listening to my body more when I am not running. I am realizing that my body really wants and needs the activity-physically, mentally and emotionally.

7. I am pushing myself, even when it feels uncomfortable. Not when it feels painful, but when it feels uncomfortable. Again, this is about listening to my body and understanding the difference between physically needing a break versus my mental blocks that may be sabotaging my goal to finish a run. Anytime we are stretching ourselves and working towards creating new habits and reaching big goals, there is going to be discomfort. The key is recognizing when that discomfort is simply a time to stretch yourself to push through versus slowing down or even stopping to determine if something needs your attention before proceeding on.

8. I am celebrating the small steps. It's easy to down-play the small steps and accomplishments. Yes, I got out the door for a run, but….I walked part of the time, I was slow, I didn't feel good, I should have gone longer (damn that gremlin!). But the truth is that some days you get credit just for getting out the door. And when you get out the door and you get a run in, especially as a busy mom, it's an accomplishment worth celebrating. With my greater vision and purpose of the half-marathon, I am able to stay focused on how the small steps will lead me right to that finish line in June.

And because I am now a runner, I know that finish line isn't the end of my time as a Mom Running!

Nicola Ries Taggart, The Executive Moms Coach, creates and leads programs that support women who are business leaders and owners, as well as moms, be their best in both worlds. Nicola knows that having a successful and rewarding professional life and a fun and fulfilling personal life is possible when you are willing to create a life you love, on your own terms.


Connect with Nicola



1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment

New Runner

My Running Goals

~ I want to run a 5K by end of September 2009
~ I want to run a 10K by end of the year 2009
~ I want to run a 10K in the Spring 2010
~ I want to run a 10 Miler in the Summer 2010
~ I want to run a Half Marathon by my 39th B-day by November 8th, 2010
~ I want to run the Detroit Free Press October Marathon by the time I am 40 years old in 2011.
~To Celebrate my 40th Birthday I want to go to New York and run the New York City November Marathon

 

Moms Running | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates